Thursday, May 16, 2019

When Jackie Saved Grand Central Station, written by Natasha Wing, review by Caroline Rabideau


"When Jackie Saved Grand Central" is an adorable book that came at just the right time for me. My students will soon be heading to Washington DC for our yearly field trip adventure. This will be my second year chaperoning, and I’m filling big shoes. When I was in school, I had the greatest history teacher, who made American history thrilling and exciting. She filled the days with picture books packed with facts and videos giving image to what life could have been like for former presidents. We were so excited by departure time.

So here I am, gearing up for my second year as a chaperone when I found this book on our Libres shelf. "When Jackie Saved Grand Central," written by Natasha Wing and illustrated by Alexandra Boiger, illuminates Lady Kennedy’s struggle to change laws and rally a group of people dedicated enough to restore Grand Central Station in New York. Early in the Kennedy presidency, it is known that she oversaw major upgrades throughout the White House, making it more inviting and highlighting our American history throughout the building. When Grand Central Station in New York was in need of the same treatment some years later, she not only oversaw the committee that made the final developments, but took a front line approach, writing directly to mayors, leading press conferences, and rallying all the way back to Washington in order to raise awareness of the importance of historical state landmarks. Finally, the Supreme Court supported New York’s Landmark’s Law, preventing Grand Central Station from being destroyed. Once her victory had been won, restoration began. She was never able to see its completion, due to her passing in 1994, but because of her, Grand Central was saved.

I was so touched by this book that I wanted to go see if it was true. Sure enough, I found article after article talking about both the White House restoration, as well as the Grand Central Station battle and restoration. Reporters praised her hard work and effort to do what was best for the community and for history. I have printed a number of articles and attached them inside the back cover of the book, in case any of my students would like to dig deeper into this story.

I am excited to make this my first book on my Washington DC list. I think this will be a great book to read before we visit the Kennedy graves and talk about the influence their family had on our country. The Washington DC trip is inspirational in so many ways for our students, teaching them all that they can make a difference. One person CAN make a difference. When Jackie Saved Grand Central Station really illustrates that. As a former first lady, Jacqueline Kennedy was able to use her name, her history, and her problem solving skills to make a difference that will touch people for years and generations to come.  

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing my book with your students. What a great way for them to get more out of their field trip to Washington, DC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment and support. It was really great for them. This year, I think I would like to work more books into our trip... I think it would be great to find picture books (because they're quick to read) that have illustrations showing what life was like in the places we visit during their time of use. That is my goal for this year.
    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great book for Women's History month in March as well.

    ReplyDelete