Wednesday, September 25, 2019

My Little Pond, written by Katrin Wiehle, reviewed by Klaudia Janek

Student Reviewer: Kate T.
Summary: My Little Pond is a light read that combines adorable pictures with new vocabulary. This book takes the attention of the reader from the beginning with familiar characters, that travel throughout their home captured in pictures. The animals that lead the tour include a duck, frog and fish. After an image that appears with a zoomed out perspective of the pond, readers find themselves coming into closer focus, first exploring the obvious inhabitants that reside atop the pond. The greenery around the water is then presented, along with varieties of fish that could be discovered. After the diverse ecosystem is outlined, the book finishes with a satisfying call to action, urging the readers to explore for themselves.

Straight Talk for Librarians: Overall, this book was quite enjoyable to me and it resembles something I would be intrigued to look at when searching for new art styles. The saturated, earthy colors give it a unique appearance, and I picked it up right away. I also really appreciated the 100% recycleable materials quality that this book represents, because it is a rare quality for books to have due to its lack of durability. However, it really gave the piece extra appeal in my opinion. I enjoyed looking at the pictures and the art style, and I think I learned something too about the creatures that live in the pond. It would be useful to improve the reading of those who are younger and are just beginning to establish their vocabulary. Additionally, it can be used to encourage children to recycle and go outside to explore. Parents will find these ethics to be charming, as well as most teachers and librarians. I would definitely recommend this read to others, and would share it with my younger family members. I’m sure they will enjoy this read as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment