Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Next Best Junior Chef #1: Lights, Camera, Cook! written by Charise Mericle Harper and illustrated by Aurélie Blard-Quintard, reviewed by Debra Gantz

 

Summary:  I was drawn into the story immediately as the children are great characters. The chefs in the book are just as interesting and the book moved quickly with challenges and prizes being won throughout. I will be buying future books in this series, as there is only one eliminated in this first book, so I have no idea who will win the competition. For those who want a spiritied, unique style for a series, try this one out!


Straight Talk for Librarians:  I do not watch reality TV and had no idea there was a cooking competition show for students. This series was requested by my students. I liked the story line, the characters, and the competition including the sections of public speaking with each contestant. As a librarian I do offer opportunities for reading on projects, participating in academic competitions, and team activities like coding and I found connections in this story that I can use in my classes. I also love the notes about cooking safety and vocabulary included in this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment