Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Be a Friend written by Salina Yoon, reviewed by Debra Gantz

 

Summary:  Dennis is a quiet boy that wears black and white stripes and communicates through mime, like his hero Marcel Marceau of stage and screen fame. It can be lonely to not speak with words as other kids do not always understand. During show and tell, he mimed. When students climbed a tree, he became a tree. One day that all changed when Dennis kicked an imaginary ball and a classmate caught it. Together they played and discovered that play does not need words to fill our hearts with joy!


Straight Talk for Librarians:  Wow! What a special book this is and I have already added it to both of my school collections. Salina Yoon has found a way to help students treasure the differences in communication in our school communities. I have shared this book with all of my classes. I see the joy of students who are a part of both a small special services class and included into their grade level class for specials when I share this book in both library times. I see this book as a first purchase.


No comments:

Post a Comment