Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Unstoppable: True Stories of Amazing Bionic Animals written by Nancy Furstinger, reviewed by Debra Gantz

 

Summary:  What an engaging book for children and adults, alike. Learning about the use of prosthesis for animals is quite appealing. It seems so often animals are "euthanized" for fixable medical issues, but these animals were lucky enough to find people who worked to increase their quality of lives despite obstacles. I love how so many rescuers, veterinarians, and human doctors worked together with college students to create mobility for limb damaged animals. I had heard about Winter, the dolphin, but this book introduced me to many more amazing and wonderful stories of focus, failure, and ultimately, successful adaptations to allow for full lives after injury or birth defect. Using all the non-fiction text features my teachers prefer for our students, my students can learn about any of the farm, zoo, wild, and pet animals in this book. The glossary addresses the scientific language, though within each section, the narrative text manages to weave definitions beautifully for readers, as well. Captioned full color photographs of the heroes who helped these animals and the animal subjects makes this as wonderful a book to browse as it is to read. I can only imagine that this book will appeal to animal lovers as much as students who learn about how appendages can be crafted in a myriad of ways to help any being adapt to physical challenges. I very much enjoyed the stories here and found myself exploring the website suggestions, as well.


Straight Talk for Librarians:  My teachers always want books that show Non-Fiction Text features well and this book fits that bill. Animals are an easy way to grab many students who are not yet non-fiction fans. This book meets both of those needs. My personal favorite is that stem connections are all the rage in the education world. I plan to use this book to get my students to think of ways to use creative thinking to solve real world problems, like the folks highlighted in these stories did for these animals! 


No comments:

Post a Comment