Monday, September 21, 2026

The Willoughbys Return written by Lois Lowry and reviewed by Debra Gantz

Summary:
The kids from the original book have grown up. They think very little about their long missing parents and know nothing about how their parents have somehow thawed out. In a bit of a parallel story readers see how Richie, son of the eldest Willoughby, Tim, is not managing well the failure of the family chocolate company and his father needing to slow down on buying him whatever he has ever wanted. Next door to them is a family named Poore who is quite poor. The husband is traveling west to sell his outdated encyclopedias and to gather rocks for his daughter who loves rocks. The stories begin to intermingle when Mrs. Poore takes on the thawed Willoughby couple and feeds them poisonous leaves as salad. She has no phone, so she has to go to the mansion when Tim lives to use that phone and get medical help. The antics of the thawed Willoughbys who have missed 30 years of advancements in technology and communication as well as those of Mr. Poore who takes the term bumbling idiot and makes it seem complementary are quite amusing. I believe students would love the frustrations about technology advancements and it would offer great opportunity to extend that study to any decade, so students better understand the changes in lives due to technological inventions. 

Straight Talk for Librarians: Truth be told, I struggled with the first book. Perhaps I could not fathom the amount of dry wit in a book for kids. For whatever reason, I never book talked it in my 2 elementary school libraries. This sequel reads similarly to the original book but went so much more smoothly for me. The language use, as expected in a Lowry book, is exceptional and often the dry commentary of the adults and the wit of the children produce great laughs. The first book has a movie, but no movie has been made from this 2020 sequel. I could easily see English teachers use this book to talk about expressive written language and to increase vocabulary in both oral and written language for their students. The social commentary is also unique and may appeal to many subject level teachers. Just think if the government banned candy and how it would affect our world! Think about if global warming could thaw out the absurdly quirky Willoughby parents who froze while climbing a mountain? That could lead to some wonderful writing about what else could regain life after being frozen. My students love I wonder if kinds of writing and this book certainly gives them much to think about. Finally, the technical advancements in the 30 years that the Willoughbys have been frozen are astronomical and I am certain my students will find their shock and amazement quite amusing. I have never liked a sequel more than the original book before now. I should not have been shocked that Lois Lowry penned the first sequel that I like better than the original story.

No comments:

Post a Comment