Thursday, December 1, 2022

No Fair! No Fair! and Other Jolly Poems of Childhood, written by Calvin Trillin, pictures by Roz Chast, reviewed by Debra Gantz

Summary:  I think this is the dark side of poetry in this book. I am not surprised to find out that this is a New Yorker journalist that is penning these odes to childhood as they are likely more appealing to adults than children. The illustrations by Roz Chast even feel more appealing for adults than children, though the topics of the poems could be very funny, neither the illustrations nor the poems strike a chord for me. The afterward from Calvin Trillin give some insight into the topics of the poems, but not enough to change my thinking. The poems felt heavy, not fun.

Straight Talk for Librarians:  I may be able to talk some of my male students with a darker sense of humor to check it out, but I doubt it will become a favorite for many students. (My brothers might have liked it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment