Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Sweet Buttercup (Silver Pony Ranch #2), written by D.L. Green, reviewed by Debra Gantz

Summary:  I really have enjoyed the Branches series I have added to my collection. The chapters are short, there are pictures that support the readers, and there are often questions or activites that help students who may be doing reports. Silver Pony Ranch is another good addition from the Scholastic Branches books.

Sweet Buttercup is the second of this series. Tori and her sister, Miranda, are at Grandma's ranch for the summer. The horses, her grandma's dogs, and spending time with their grandma brings obvious joy for the girls. They meet a new girl who is boarding her horse at the ranch and is going to a local horse show that Tori and Miranda are a bit nervous about entering. Ashley is abrupt and pointed with her comments and seems to need to be better than Tori. Their grandma encourages them to give Ashley a chance despite that and when Ashley is in a bind at a horse show, Tori steps up to help.

Straight Talk for Librarians:  Short chapters and learning some facts about riding is a big draw for many of my students in both of my schools. I love the focus on choice in this story. There are choices with how we speak to others as well as choices in how we react to others. These characters allow that learning to happen naturally. I recommend the Branches series books often as their is something for everyone. This one, quite obviously, will be for my animal lovers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment